Flatbed trailers are common assets for carriers owing to their versatility. The trailer is characterised by the absence of a roof and sides, allowing for quick and easy loading and unloading of large, bulky items.
GTA Financial Ltd. is the most trusted source for truck, trailer and heavy equipment loans in North America. Specializing in flatbed trailer loans and flatbed trailer leasing, we have become the leading choice in the industry because of our ability to grow your business with our premium offerings.
How Do Flatbed Trailers Operate?
With an approximate length of 48 feet, width of 8.5 feet, and height of 8.5 feet, a flatbed trailer has a maximum capacity of 48,000 lbs. Flatbed trailers can be loaded from the sides, top, or rear of the trailer, giving you plenty of options.
There are a number of variations of flatbed trailers with ratings to handle concentrated weight of up to 80,000 pounds or distributed weight of up to 145,000 pounds depending on the number of axles and axle configuration.
The actual cargo load capacity dimensions and weight vary from trailer to trailer depending on the specifications of the semi-tractor and trailer being used. For instance:
- Step deck or drop deck trailers are one version of flatbed trailers featuring a top and bottom deck, which makes them ideal for hauling freight with height restrictions. The maximum freight weight is 48,000 lbs.
- Extendable flatbeds or flatbed stretch trailers have a maximum legal weight of 43,000 lbs, and are used to transport loads that are too long for the standard flatbed trailer.
- RGNs (Removable Goosenecks) allow you to load large equipment, and can handle up to and over 150,000 lbs worth of cargo.
Applications Of Flatbed Trailers
Since flatbed trailers don’t have a solid cover to protect the freight, they are typically used to transport heavy items that are not delicate, perishable or vulnerable to precipitation. This type of cargo includes:
- Steel products
- Construction equipment
What Attachments/Equipment Are Available For These Trailers?
Compared to other kinds of trailers, flatbeds are generally more physically demanding, as they require more effort and equipment to secure the load. Some flatbeds may feature:
- Roadside cargo control – comprising built-in rope hooks, stake pockets, and combo sliding winches to maximise load security
- Air-ride suspensions – featuring self-regulating height control valves, as well as electric sliding winches to maximise load security
- Removable aluminum bulkheads – to promote ease and flexibility when hauling loads of different lengths
Is A Special License Required To Operate A Flatbed Trailer?
Truck drivers are expected to have the necessary training to properly handle flatbed trailers hauling tens of pounds on the highways. You will need to have the appropriate commercial driver’s license (CDL) to be fully prepared for the challenges of hauling such a large vehicle.
You should also take into consideration that your load/freight might require permits for the state(s) they will be hauled through, and even across the border.
Can Flatbed Trailers Be Leased Or Rented?
For either seasonal or long-term hauling of heavy and bulky cargo, flatbed trailer loans or leasing is usually the most cost effective option for your trucking, rigging, and distribution needs. You also have the freedom to choose the size of your flatbed, from 40’ to 53, as well as the option to remove the headboard for easier loading/unloading of cargo. When it comes to the transportation industry, a high-quality flatbed trailer is absolutely imperative to success of your business when there is so much on the line. Without a highly reliable, durable flatbed trailer, your business is at risk. As such, our flatbed trailer loans mean access to the best flatbed trailers; we only work with the best companies in the business. Our priority is always the success of your business and we make that happen from every possible angle – from low rates to access to the best flatbed trailers.
Why Choose The GTA Financial Ltd.?
- Low Rates and Flexible Payment OptionsOur access to many lenders in the industry makes it possible for us to offer some of the lowest rates possible. We are committed to your business’s success, and we will not stop until we have secured rates that you are completely satisfied with. In line with our commitment to you, we will go out of our way to accommodate your individual needs requiring payment options.
- Easy and Fast ApprovalsOur loan application process requires just three steps. The process of securing both flatbed trailer loans and leasing is so streamlined that we can secure financing in just a few hours.